Friday, April 1, 2011

Ethical Dilemma

The only ethical dilemma that I can think of happened on my internship.

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As part of that, we don't believe in consuming alcohol, coffee or tobacco.

Naturally, not everybody believes the same, which is fine and it's certainly not right or fair to push those beliefs or values on everybody.

The dilemma comes when you get to or have to associate with people who don't believe the same way. Where is the best place to draw the line or should a line even be drawn?

People inviting you on coffee breaks?
Happy hours?
Late night or other events/parties?

All of the above events could have people consuming things that I don't believe in using--even though they may not offer it to me after knowing that it's not something I do.

How would you solve this potential ethical dilemma?

No comments:

Post a Comment